One of my favorite fall recipes to make is my Vegetarian Three Bean Chili. It is SO simple, and loaded with protein and veggies. I literally can prep it in 15 minutes, and Voila! Dinner is ready as soon as everyone is home. Here is how I usually make it, but honestly the great thing about this dish is that it can be a sort-of “everything but the kitchen sink” type meal. Whatever you have in the pantry and fridge.. try to use it!
Throw the following ingredients into a crock pot (depending on your timeline cook on low for 3-4 hours, or high for 1-2 hours). The nice thing is nothing has to really “cook” it just needs to heat up and let the flavors blend!
- Add Beans
- Three 15oz pouches* or cans of beans (Red Kidney, Black Beans, & Pinto Beans)
- *I am trying to change over from using canned products to beans in pouches
- Add Veggies
- One 15oz pouch or can of corn
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped
- Half of a white onion chopped
- Add Sauces
- 1 can of tomatoes (crushed or diced is fine)
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of mild or medium salsa (I use medium)
- Add Flavor
- 2 tbsp of minced garlic
- 2 tsp of cumin
- 2 tsp of turmeric
- sprinkle of rosemary
- S&P to taste
Let it simmer for however long you need! The great part is it really can’t overcook since it doesn’t contain meat! Top with shredded cheddar cheese and greek yogurt (in lieu of sour cream), and pair with some fresh baked cornbread to complete the perfect fall family dinner!